Boosted Board Mini X Electric Skateboard Review
The Boosted board Mini X could be a good alternative for electric skateboard enthusiasts looking for a small ride.
The Boosted Mini X is quite heavy for its compact dimension but incredibly fast. It also has a solid range and does a brilliant job climbing steep hills. Is it the right e-board for you? Read our review to find it out if it’s worth your attention.
Boosted Board Mini X: Technical Aspects
|MOTOR||- Read dual belt.|
- 500watt each.
- Claimed: 20 mph (32 km/h - at max power).
- Tested: 16 mph.
|DECK||- Concave shape.|
- Composite - Poplar inside and fiberglass outside (very rigid).
- L: 74.9cm; W: 27.9 cm (29.5" x 11").
|BATTERY||- 36 volt Li-Ion. |
- 13s2p 1865 Lithium-ion.
|CLIMBING ABILITY||- 20% inclination. Variable based on the overall weight.|
|WHEELS||- 80 mm diameter.|
- 55 mm width.
- 78A hardness.
- Centered core and square edges.
|BRAKES||- Regenerative braking.|
- Strong braking system.
|CARRYING WEIGHT||- 242.5 lb (110 kg) max recommended.||OVERALL WEIGHT||- 16.8 lbs (7.7 kg).|
- Considered heavy for its size.
|RIDING MODES||- Three (3). See remote control section for details.||CHARGING TIME||- 1.5 hrs (from flat).|
Deck’s Board Design and Quality
The Boosted Mini X is a compact electric skateboard with urban mobility. This doesn’t mean it’s the best choice for commuters.
At 16.8 pounds (7.7 kg), it is relatively heavy for its small size. This is something that I find ironic, considering I would expect an easy-to-carry e-board, especially when walking through crowded areas.
Despite being on the heavy side, it is still suitable for commuting. There are other interesting good features to check.
To begin with, it has a deep dish-style deck made of composite and finished with an anti-skid layer designed to keep you locked in (safely) throughout the ride.
The composite is made of poplar wood and covered with fiberglass (good quality material).
A composite deck is not bad when riding on wet surfaces; however, it also makes the deck very rigid. This makes sense to protect the battery integrity but also translates into a bumpy ride transmitted to your feet.
80 mm Soft Wheels
Made to take you to the destination quickly and easily, the Boosted Mini X comes with 80mm polyurethane Lunar wheels. Needless to say, they provide smooth rolling on most terrains, and combined with the quick tail, they let you make sharp turns with incredible maneuverability.
Regarding the contact patch and durability, having a 78A grade and 55 mm width will deliver a long-lasting wheel life and stability, similar to what the Raptor 2.1 Electric Skateboard offers.
Read More: Electric Skateboard Wheels Buying Guide For Rookies
Lastly, a couple of things alike about the wheels:
– front and rear wells are the same dimensions so that traction will be delivered evenly.
– despite the rigid deck, the wheels provide the softness required to absorb most bumps and protect the motors.
Belt Hub Dual Motors
The heart of a board is undoubtedly the motor, and the Mini X comes with a strong one. We’re talking about two (2) belt motors with a power of 1,000 watts combined.
A powerful motor also means good top speeds – you can expect up to 20mph (32 km/h).
Sure, that’s in ideal conditions, but you will usually get up to around 15-16mph (27 km/h). Still not an alarming speed, but I know it can do better.
Compared to other models around the same size and classification (such as the Atom B10 Electric Skateboard), I believe this e-board motor has excellent and reliable components.
I personally like having a dual setup with less power (in this case) than having a single hub or belt design with a higher power; this is because having too much power on one (1) motor will increase the chances of 1) the motor getting cooked and 2) having to catch public transport because of that.
36V Li-Ion Battery
The Boosted Mini X battery is a reliable 36V/200Wh cell that provides sufficient juice for up to 14 miles (22km) on a single charge.
As you can imagine, we’re talking about a lithium-ion battery that delivers all the performance you could expect from such a compact model.
Long battery life and fast charging are two of its other highlights.
There is a couple of downside to this extended-range battery:
– Like many other electric board batteries, it is not approved to take on flights (and is also heavy to carry).
– The battery is way too close to the ground. This could be a problem if you go through a speed reducer, so I suggest you avoid them or slow down and see what happens.
Overall, I like the quality of the components of the battery and the performance it can deliver.
The Braking Performance
Another thing we particularly like is the braking performance delivered by the electronic regenerative brakes. Not only do they stop your board in seconds, but they also put a bit of juice back into the battery while you’re stopping.
I love that the belt system is strong enough to ensure excellent braking performance compared to other models.
The most prominent factor here is that you may be in trouble if the belt snaps. Nevertheless, this is another reason for having a dual motor; the other can do the job if needed.
– Before starting any ride, always check the belts. These are the ones responsible for your safety.
– After every ride, recheck the condition of the belts. This will help you prevent dirt accumulation and subsequent damage to the threats and motors.
– Lastly, do not over-tighten the screws after replacing the belts. I assure you it will affect the motors’ performance and the system’s lifespan.
Boosted Board Mini X Remote Control
We also like the pistol-style remote control. Not only it’s ergonomic, but it’s also very intuitive to use, putting all the controls at your fingertips.
You must pull the trigger to engage the motor, then roll the controller wheel back and forth to speed up or slow down as needed.
But hold on! This Boosted board remote control was designed to reduce potential accidents when accelerating. This technology is called Jerk Filter™. I think the name makes it clear.
Other things to know about the remote control:
– Three (3) leading indicators: control battery, connectivity between the board and the remote, and the e-boards battery life.
– Pairing the remote and board: click five (5) times the remote power button followed by the one on the board (also 5 times).
– Changing riding modes: press the main button three (3) times to get to the next level of assistance. You must hold down the throttle trigger and press three (3) times the central button to go down the levels. Not complex but a bit bothersome.
Most of its counterparts in the electric skateboard line have no issues with changing the riding mode as you go; however, this is not the case for the Boosted Mini X model. Unfortunately, you will have to get to a complete stop to go up and down levels. If you are not in a hurry, this should not be a problem.
Mini X vs. Mini S
You may wonder what the main difference between the Boosted Mini X and the Mini S models is. At first glance, there is not much of a difference aside from the color of the wheels. Nevertheless, this would be what to look at:
|Feature||Mini X||Mini S|
|Motor||1000watts – 32 km/h||1000watts – 22 km/h|
|Battery||Extended to 22 km range – 199Wh||Standard to 11 km range – 99Wh|
|Wheels||80 mm (grey)||80 mm (orange)|
So, as you can see, both models differ in the overall top range and top speed. This, off-course, will be reflected in the final cost of the e-board.
Review Wrap Up
The Boosted Mini X is an excellent option for commuters and e-skateboarding enthusiasts. A compact size, quality deck, and reliable battery deliver all the versatility you’d expect from such a unit.
While it is rather heavy, the extra weight enhances balance and stability when going at full speed.
Three (3) speed modes make it perfect for riders of all levels, from beginners to experts. It also has an impressive range and top speed, while the app connectivity adds further value for money, helping you monitor your rides and performance.
Perhaps it’s not as good on steep hills as other electric skateboards, and maybe it could come with a less rigid deck, but overall, the Boosted board Mini X brings good value for money.
Images courtesy of Boosted
Boosted Board Mini$$
Torque & Speed4.4/5
Battery (range & charging time)4.5/5
What we like
- ✅ Incredibly fast and reliable considering its compact size.
- ✅ Excellent battery quality. It provides energy for up to 14 miles on a single charge.
- ✅ Double belt motor tha improves power and torque.
- ✅ Good braking efficiency.
What we do not like
- Relatively heavy for its size.
- Deck was made too rigid. This is to protect the battery.
- Replacing the motor, wheels and belt takes some skills. Still can be done.
- The belt can accumulate some dirt, which will gradually deteriorates.